As Christians, we are members of God’s household (Ephesians 2:19) who are called to function, participate, and minister in a particular place within the body of Christ. A healthy body requires that each member do its part well. A healthy church requires the same: members who are committed and well-equipped to do the works of service that God has prepared in advance for us to do (Ephesians 2:10; 4:12).
Being a member of our church is really about being part of a family. All members are disciples of Jesus, unified by their identity as new creations (2 Corinthians 5:17). This unity is expressed in the way they collaborate in loving God, loving fellow Christians, and loving non-Christians. Members who enter into a covenant with their local church are called to a higher degree of responsibility and service. At the same time, the elders and deacons are covenanted to assist members first and foremost, to love and lead, provide counsel and aid, and pray for, teach, and guide them.
Obligation of Vertical Church Spartanburg to its members
- We covenant that your elders and deacons will meet the character qualifications required of them in the Scriptures (1 Timothy 3:1-13; 5:17-22; Titus 1:5-9; 1 Peter 5:1-4).
- We covenant to seek God’s will for our church community to the best of our ability as we study Scriptures and follow the Spirit (Acts 20:28; 1 Peter 5:1-5).
- We covenant to care for you and see your growth as a disciple of Christ, in part by equipping you for service (Ephesians 4:11-13) and praying for you regularly, particularly when you are sick (James 5:14).
- We covenant to provide teaching and counsel from the whole of Scripture (Acts 20:27-28; Galatians 6:6; 1 Timothy 5:17-18).
- We covenant to be on guard against false teachers (Acts 20:28-31).
- We covenant to exercise church discipline when necessary (Matthew 18:15-20; 1 Corinthians 5; Galatians 6:1).
- We covenant to set an example and join you in fulfilling the duties of church members (1 Corinthians 11:1; Philippians 3:17; 1 Timothy 4:12)
Vertical Church Spartanburg Membership Covenant
Having been led, as we believe, by the Spirit of God, to receive the Lord Jesus Christ as our Savior; and on the profession of our faith, having been baptized in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit; we do now, in the presence of God, angels, and this assembly, most solemnly and joyfully enter into covenant with one another, as one body in Christ. And in light of the finished work of Christ, we covenant together in the following ways:
- We will strive to develop spiritual disciplines that draw one another closer to God.
- We will attend corporate worship on a regular basis.
- We will maintain a lifestyle that is consistent with scripture.
- We will seek mutual relationships with other believers in a Vertical Church small group.
- We will preserve the unity of biblical fellowship in matters of non-essential beliefs or preferences.
- We will submit to the biblical leadership of the church and support the leaders in prayer.
- We will pursue opportunities for service on a church ministry team.
- We will use our spiritual gifts to serve this church and its mission to our community and beyond.
- We will develop a giving plan in accordance with the biblical mandate to financially support the church.